Friday, January 14, 2011

Go, Diego, Go

I wrote my last blog article about learning a foreign language in July and I need to post an amendment already. At that time, my son had zero interest in 'Go, Diego, Go'. However, about three weeks ago, he watched his first episode and he's barely watched anything else since. Unlike KaiLan, which attempts to share an aspect of Chinese culture in every episode, Diego is about a boy who helps rescue an animal in trouble. The concept is a great one for a children's show and many Spanish words are introduced. However, there does not seem to be much exploration of the Mexican or Spanish culture, which I find disappointing. Honestly, what my son retains from 'Go, Diego, Go' are all the amazing facts about the different animals, not the Spanish. This is a different experience than we've had with KaiLan, which had him integrating Chinese words into his every day life. So, in my opinion, the show is great for entertainment value and learning a lot of interesting animal facts, but lacks something in its method for teaching Spanish.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter loves watching Kai-Lan and Diego! We always watch Nick Jr. and we get TV everywhere since we subscribe to DISH Network. As a DISH employee I can tell you that the Sling box allows you to stream live TV content and DVR recordings wherever you are. Go to www.dishnetwork.com for more info.

    ReplyDelete